Considerations when hiring a SEO company
If you have a website you have no doubt herd of SEO (Search Engine Optimization) at some point. The SEO world appears very complex, which it is however the point of SEO is to get your site to rank as high as possible in Google for search phrases that believe your target market will use to find you.
The issue with SEO is there is no fixed answer. Google uses highly complex algorithms that change daily and no one knows the exact formula used. What SEO companies do know is little bits of information Google releases as well as trends leading SEO authority sites discover on a trial and error basis.
With these trends, many SEO companies are able to claim they can get your site to the number one ranking in a matter of weeks. While this may be true, they are doing it with ill fated behavior and when Google releases a major algorithm update your site will cease to exist in rankings at all having been heavily penalized.
Any SEO company who says they can get you to the number one position is bluffing and should be ruled out. Google ranks websites based on their algorithm which is protected therefore no one can guarantee rankings. A quality SEO company knows optimization is a long term project with improvements needing to be made regularly, particularly given Google has made it clear they like fresh content.
A quality SEO company will provide both off and onsite SEO as well as social media marketing, creating a package that is affordable for you. Despite dodgy SEO practices being reportable to the Federal Trade Commission in the U.S, there are still many unethical companies who are willing to exploit you.
Some questions to ask potential companies are:
- Can you show me examples of your previous work and share some success stories?
- Do you follow the Google Webmaster Guidelines?
- Do you offer any online marketing services or advice to complement your organic search business?
- What kind of results do you expect to see, and in what timeframe? How do you measure your success?
- What’s your experience in my industry?
- What’s your experience in my country/city?
- What’s your experience developing international sites?
- What are your most important SEO techniques?
- How long have you been in business?
- How can I expect to communicate with you? Will you share with me all the changes you make to my site, and provide detailed information about your recommendations and the reasoning behind them?
Whether you are going through a website redesign, a brand new launch or have only decided you are interested in SEO services for your website now the company you choose needs to be the right fit for you. There is no shortage of companies offering their services, if you get a bad vibe or are not convinced with some of the answers a company provides do not hesitate to instantly move onto the next candidate.